Interview with Sharon Den Adel
1. How do you see Within Temptation developing in the future?
We never look to far in the future. Every time we find new challenges in writing music and doing live shows. We have the feeling that we can make a lot of progress both live as in writing. I think that's what's giving us a lot energy and fun in it all.
2. How far have ideas progressed with respect to a new album?
Up till now it is only in the sketching stage. We have some very basic structures for some songs. However the good thing is that the ideas are flowing like water. It feels at the moment we have never had so much fun in writing before. We already feel this is going to be a special album and it is not going to take that long to make (compared to our last albums -)
3. When you and Robert write songs what comes first, the lyrics or the music?
Almost always the music. However during writing we very often use lyrics which come up spontaneous and don't really make a lot of sense. But they do very often translate an emotion. Most of the the times this 'writing' lyrics turns out to be the inspiration for the final lyrics.
4. Who're your biggest influences?
I don't think you could just name one. We like really a lot of different kinds of music. Metal, Classical music, pop, reggae, you name it. I think you are always under influence of all the music you are hearing. It is only in the end very hard to track the things you write back to particular artist. A lot of times it doesn't even have to be music which influences you to write something but it is a book, movie or something which made a great impact on yourself.
5. After doing a version of a cover of Kate Bush, does WT plan to do any more covers?
We don't plan to do new cover at this moment. However the Kate Bush cover came as a very spontaneous idea so you of course never now, but at this moment we certainly don't have plans to do a new cover.
6. If you could get together and play with any band/artist alive or dead, who would you choose?
That would definitely be Nirvana.
7. Apart from Jillian is what other WT songs are inspired by books?
The title of our latest album 'The Silent Force' is actually taken from the title of a book from the beginning of the 19th century from a dutch writer (who lived in indonesia when he was young) called Louis Couperus. All the songs on this album are in some way related to that book (or at least the title -)
8. Has any band member been in another band?
Sure we all have been in other band. However no one anybody would know -)
9. Has anyone in the band studied music?
Yes, Ruud has done the 'musicuniversaty' for guitar and Martijn has a master degree in I believe Music Technology.
10. Do you prefer singing in Dutch or English, and why?
In English. Dutch just doesn't fit to our music style. It is also not the nicest language to sing in. Italian or Spanish would then be better options.
11. Did your parents support your career?
Absolutely. They have always been music fanatics. I was brought up by them with music like Alan Parsons, ELO, Pink Floyd, The Eagels, Journey etc... So they have always loved it that their daughter was singing in bands.
12. When did you discover your talent to sing?
I never really did. I have always sung and never really thought it. Of course when I started performing with bands people start telling you that they like your voice (or not -)
13. Have you had professional singing training?
No not really. I did learned something when I was singing a short while in a choir. Most I just learned by listen to other singers and simply singing a lot.
14. Besides the music, what else do the members of WT do?
Stephen is doing some sound-engineering and Ruud gives guitar lessons. However there is not much time besides Within Temptation to do other things.
15. What has been your favourite moment with Within Temptation and why?
The list is countless. If there would be only I would certainly do something else. Every-time there are new highlights. That's why we have so much fun with the band.
16. What's your favourite track to perform live on stage?
That's really different every time. It depends a lot on your mood that day, how a song turns out at the moment, if you haven't played a song for while and ofcourse the reaction of the audience.
17. Where have you most enjoyed touring?
Hm, that I guess depends on a lot of factors, not only the country. If you just feel great and healthy and the audience is great it is always fun to tour. So there is no specific country where that happens. In every country there were good and less good shows.
18. Which band have been the best to tour with?
We didn't tour that much with other bands but I can say in general it is always fun to tour with other bands. The more people the more joy and it is always interesting to talk with other bands as you can relate to a lot of your experiences with them.
19. If you could take one person and one thing with you to a desert island, who and what would you choose?
Of course it would be my boyfriend and a guitar so we could still make music :-)